Use these instructions to care for a Dracaena Janet Craig indoor plant. This guide will tell you how to water your Dracaena Janet Craig; its light, temperature, and humidity preferences; and any additional care your plant might need to help it grow. Light Requirements Your Dracaena Janet Craig prefers medium indirect sunlight, but can survive in low light situations. Brown spots on the leaves usually indicate the plant is getting too much light. Pale leaves, slow growth, and small new leaves indicate it is not getting enough light. Water Requirements Overwatering causes root rot and is the main reason a Dracaena Janet Craig plant dies. Water your plant thoroughly and allow the top 75% of the soil to dry before watering again. In low light, allow the soil dry completely before watering. Water less in winter, when light levels are lower and growth has slowed. Overwatering will cause leaves to turn yellow and fall off. Humidity Preference Your Dracaena Janet Craig will do well in average humidity environments, but will appreciate regular misting. Optimum Temperature Your Dracaena Janet Craig likes comfortable room temperatures between 65-80 degrees. They do not do well in temperatures below 55 degrees. Cold winter drafts and blowing heaters will damage the leaves. Plant Food Dracaena Janet Craig needs very little plant food. Feed once or twice a year in the spring and summer with a basic houseplant food at half the recommended strength. Too much fertilizer will cause the leaf tips to burn. Additional Care Look out for a common problem called ‘tipping’ when the tips of the leaves dry out and turn brown. This can be caused by a variety of issues like over watering, too much fertilizer, etc. The most common cause is tap water, which contains salts, chlorine, and fluoride. If you do not have a filtration system, leaving the tap water in an open container overnight before watering can help remove some of the chlorine and fluoride. Toxicity Dracaena Janet Craig leaves are toxic to pets and humans. Typically, ingestion will cause mouth and stomach irritation with possible vomiting.