Our outdoor areas are an extension of our home, and after a long winter stuck indoors, it’s time to spruce up those spaces! We’ve got the tips and tricks to breathe new life into your balcony, porch, or patio.
Start With A Blank Slate
Even if you plan to use your outdoor space the same way you have for years, we recommend starting fresh. If it’s possible, clear the space completely of furniture and other items to make it easier for a thorough deep cleaning.
- For a protected space like a balcony or covered porch, a broom and dustpan might be all you need. Don’t forget to sweep cobwebs out of overhead spaces, and give surfaces a scrub if they’ve accumulated a layer of winter grime.
- For spaces exposed to the elements, a rake can be helpful to remove piles of leaves that have gathered in corners. If you have access to a pressure washer, this can be an effective way to clean up stone and concrete. On wood elements like decks and fences, touch up any fading paint or stain.
- If you have a yard, now is the time to cut back any faded foliage and rake the debris out. A layer of fresh mulch makes planting beds look brand new, and a quick mow can chop up any remaining leaves.
Once your blank slate is sparking clean, it’s time to move on to the next step!
Reimagine Your Space
Take some time to explore your empty space. Think about how you want to use it, what things will make it functional, and how traffic naturally flows through the space.
- For example, if you have a patio for entertaining, do you prefer formal dinners at a big table, or a casual approach with smaller seating areas? Do you need side tables, a grill, or a firepit? Can you place the grill near your kitchen for easy access? Imagining yourself and your guests in the space will help things flow smoothly once you’re using it.
- When it comes to furniture and other big pieces like storage cabinets or grills, measure out the space so you know what will fit. You’ll be happy to have some guidelines when it comes to making a decision.
- We recommend high quality materials that can last a long time in harsh outdoor conditions. Metals like steel or wrought iron and woods like teak and cedar are known to be hard-wearing and durable. We recommend choosing neutral tones for your furniture.
- If you’ve already got what you need, give everything a scrub and move it back into your space!
Set The Tone
Now that your space is functional, it’s time to give it some character! Layering in decor accents is a great way to infuse fresh style and new colors each year.
- Whether it’s a tropical getaway, a calming minimalist vibe, or something else altogether, have a clear vision of the feeling you want to create.
- Items like rugs, seat cushions, and pillows add a cozy touch with big visual impact.
- Tabletop decor can be both functional and stylish, like trays to move refreshments, vases for fresh cut flowers, and decorative holders for citronella candles to keep the bugs at bay.
- Don’t forget about lighting! If you plan to use your space at night, some pretty string lights or tiki torches can add to the ambiance.
- Tuck weatherproof bluetooth speakers throughout the space. Music is often an afterthought, so you’ll be glad to have a solution in place when it’s time to turn on the tunes.
Bring It To Life
We’ve saved the best for last—let’s talk plants! We believe incorporating pretty plants throughout your space is the single most impactful element to bring it to life. Delicate florals, bold blooms, and showstopping foliage can take a space from everyday to over-the-top.
- There are decorative containers to match any style. Choose a container with a drainage hole so that water can escape freely when it rains.
- Some of the easiest plants to grow in containers are flowering tropicals like Mandevilla, Hibiscus, and Gardenia.
- Another option is flowering annuals. Combining different types together can have big impact, thought it requires a bit more work between going to the garden center, shopping for the perfect plants, and heading home to plant them up.
- If you’re looking for an easy solution, check out our expertly curated collections. Among the Whimsical, Minimalist, Tropical, and Colorful Collections, there’s something for everyone. The best part? They ship from our greenhouse to your door, meaning all you need to do is unwrap and enjoy.
Once your space is styled and full of plants, we’d love to check it out! Tag us on Instagram and make the most of your outdoor living space this season.