How to Care for a Pink Dalmatian Aglaonema

How to Care for a Pink Dalmatian Aglaonema

Use these instructions to care for a Pink Dalmatian Aglaonema. This guide will tell you how to water your Pink Dalmatian Aglaonema, its light, temperature, and humidity preferences; and any additional care your plant might need to help it grow.

LIGHT REQUIREMENTS

Bright indirect sunlight is optimal and will help your Pink Dalmatian Aglaonema produce the beautiful pink spots on its leaves. Be careful not to put it in full sun because, in many cases, the leaves will burn. If you have less than optimal lighting available, this plant will tolerate low light areas but the leaf spots and variegation will not be as pronounced.  

WATER REQUIREMENTS

Your Pink Dalmatian Aglaonema prefer to be kept moist during the spring and summer, but make sure the soil isn’t soggy. Moderation is key! Do not allow the lower soil to remain wet as this may cause root rot. In the winter, water thoroughly, but allow the soil to dry out between waterings. It can survive an occasional dry down.  

HUMIDITY PREFERENCE

This plant can survive in a low humidity environment, but it will thrive with a higher humidity level. Mist the leaves regularly to raise the humidity.  

OPTIMUM TEMPERATURE

This plant prefers temperatures in the 60’s and 70’s. Avoid cold drafts and sudden temperature changes.  

PLANT FOOD

For best results, use a general houseplant fertilizer once a month during the spring and summer.  

ADDITIONAL CARE

A common problem with Aglaonema is called ‘tipping’ when the tips of the leaves dry out and turn brown. This can be caused by a variety of issues like overwatering, too much fertilizer, etc. The most common cause is tap water, which contains salts, chlorine, and fluoride. If you do not have a filtration system, leaving the tap water in an open container overnight before watering can help remove some of the chlorine and fluoride.  

TOXICITY

The Pink Dalmatian Aglaonema is moderately toxic to pets and humans. Typically, ingestion will cause mouth and stomach irritation and possible vomiting.